Sweet Days

I was pondering about my blog the other day and decided to change the look a bit. It wasn't just the look I wanted to change though, but the "theme" of the blog - [Family] Scrambling described another phase of life. The quote I had chosen before was attributed to Robert Cushing:

“The fact is, that to do anything in the world worth doing, we must not 
stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger, but jump in and 
scramble through as well as we can.”

Not to say that we're not still "scrambling through as well as we can" - I still feel like the quote describes my life perfectly sometimes! 

But life has settled down a bit. Dave and I are no longer living on separate continents. I am no longer exploring and savoring beautiful Europe. We are not going through a baby/master's thesis/house-buying whirlwind. We live life fairly routinely now. We take joy in the steady and miraculous changes in our baby, in the little chores and projects we do to beautify our home and yard, in the outings with old and new friends, and in the visits from family.

I have recently finished reading all of the books of the Anne of Green Gables series and I was struck by the astute insights L.M. Montgomery offers through her characters and descriptions of her world. I had checked the books out from the library, but I found myself wishing that I had the series to own so that I could highlight the passages that particularly struck me. To describe this new phase of life, I chose a quote from Anne of Avonlea:

“After all, I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on 
which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but 
just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another 
softly, like pearls slipping off a string.” 

Comments

Popular Posts