VOTE!!

There has been no internet connection and so no update, but there's no time to explain the announcement: Dave and I have officially moved to Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe/Mesa/Gilbert/Chandler Arizona.  Why one big city has six different names (on its west/southwest side alone), I don't know.  Dave and I are purchasing our first home and have narrowed it down to two options.  In reality I think the choice has already been made, but none-the-less, I will let you all choose your favorite.  Any advice/opinions will be appreciated and considered, though not necessarily heeded.

HOUSE OPTION #1:






Points to consider (each point is almost always a positive AND a negative in some way):

  • Detached house
  • Thirty minute drive to work
  • 3 Bedroom, 2.5 Bath
  • 1,528 sqft on 4,748 sqft property
  • Two Stories
  • More expensive list price but low HOA
  • Great possibility for increased value in the future
  • Built in 1990
  • Needs some easy, cheap updates/fixes
  • Mixed neighborhood with teenagers in both houses next-door
  • Double vanity in the master bath
  • Yard
  • Living room and family room - no great room
  • Older appliances, no dryer
  • Shopping close
HOUSE OPTION #2:





Points to consider (each point is almost always a positive AND a negative in some way):
  • Shared walls
  • Ten minute bike ride to work
  • 2 Bedroom, 2 Bath
  • 941 sqft on 1,102 sqft property
  • One Story
  • Less expensive list price but high HOA
  • Great possibility for increased value in the future
  • Built in 1986 but rebuilt in 2007
  • Comes ready-made with no updates or fixing up necessary
  • Mostly young couples finishing degrees or starting careers and families
  • Huge walk-in closet in the master bedroom
  • Small enclosed patio but communal grass area
  • Great room
  • New appliances
  • Freeway access close
Comments ready?  GO!

Comments

Stacie S-H said…
Wait where are these houses? Im in Mesa but moving to Utah the very end of March :-/ You guys should come to my Hawaiian haystack dinner party on feb 6th! I think I like the first house better..but I LOVE walk in closets. So thats a lil tough. Good luck!
Anonymous said…
Wow. Someone is definitely an adult. I like the first house better... maybe because it's like the house I grew up in. I think it has excellent benefits like a yard!!! (except you'd have to buy a dryer.... but does the 2nd house have a dryer)? The second house is very appealing with the 10 minute bike ride and it looks like nice appliances. But I am more swayed by the first one.
Tyler Hill said…
The first house! The first house! Move into a dump, it'll be fun! Haha! Actually, I like the first house. It's homie.
Suzannah said…
the first house. While you can't have the great appliances now, you don't have to worry about noisy neighbors. I like the idea of having a yard, too. If you guys are going to have pets or anything, a yard is wonderful especially since communal grass always has rules.
I also like the idea of having neighbors with teenagers. possible babysitters. =P
Anonymous said…
Fun! I like voting :). Okay, I know this is totally your call and I've already put many two bits in, but I just got my trustee calculator, did some rough figures, and it seems to me that you're paying a LOT more per square foot for the condo (e.g., $77 compared to $53. Just a thought. Not to mention, I was looking forward to some good old DIY transformation of the house. Good luck, dear.
Erin Fairlight said…
I'm going to be the loner and go with the condo. The reality is that teenagers with non-shared walls can be louder than shared wall young families, and you have a better chance to be friends (similar spots in life) with the condo-ers. But the sway is the bike ride. I've done commutes, and your body will love you for riding to work and not slouching to work....good luck!
Scott said…
While I am jealous that youa re already at this step. I like the house for the fact that it is a house and biking in Arizona in the summer may not be very appealing. However the condo may be good for starters because you are around people in the similar situation and as it is cheaper you can save money now as it increases in value you will have more later(in theory) and Dave does like biking.
Tricia said…
Where are these places? We will totally come visit you guys when we're in Mesa! (We live in Tucson which is 2 hours south of Phoenix). Anyways, I'm sure your decision is made, but since you asked, I vote the condo. We live in a house now, and seriously, there is a lot of upkeep with a yard if you have an HOA. At least in ours, you can't have any weeds, and if you do there's a fee. AND we have to have a certain number of bushes, etc. in the front yard. I would check out the rules first. I do miss apartment living sometimes because it is so much easier to get to know people. Also, we have teenagers around us that are both drummers in a band. We get to hear rock music every evening :) But, either way I'm sure it will be great!
Tricia said…
Oh! Forgot to add- the less square footage, shared walls, and one story-ness will definitely save you money for AC. That's a huge expense here in AZ!
Becky said…
I vote for the condo. I love the house, but maybe for your situation, the condo would be better right now. There's less to take care of/up keep, no fixes to be made, right type of neighbors (easier to make friends), has the necessities, better price, you'd save on gas money/get good exercise from biking, etc. It just seems like a wiser option right now since you don't know what you'll be doing in a couple of years. I would come visit you at either home though!!!
paulita said…
i will come visit you wherever, too! i'm even trying to visit in England!
Gaylene said…
Like you said, pros and cons to both. Condos are great starters though because they have less yard to care for and if the neighbors are mostly young couples, you'll have much more in common. I vote for the shortest commute. We've done long commutes and very short commutes. Short commutes outweigh a lot of other things in my mind. Have fun picking though. Either place will be great. It's all in your attitude. :) Congratulations!!

Popular Posts