Carol

I love Easter's meaning, don't get me wrong. But it's Christmas that really moves me. That's the way it was for me as a child - I have vivid memories of still Christmas nights watching the lights of the Christmas tree and the dying embers of the fire. Those warm, soft, awestruck nights taught me what it meant to feel the Spirit of God. It's also the way it was for me in Jerusalem. I had soft, spiritual moments in the "authentic" Garden of Gethsemane and I thought the Garden Tomb was beautiful, but one of my most gripping spiritual moments occurred in the Church of the Nativity, singing Christmas hymns.

Maybe the peace and comfort I feel during Christmas season is the reason I finally switched on my "Christmas Soft" playlist during my writing sessions. I am able to let it play softly in the background while I write and it doesn't distract me. It may even help inspire me (that's the hope, right?). Yes, it's May and I am normally fairly strict about keeping Christmas music to the Christmas season. That's what helps to make it special! Dissertation writing is fairly special itself though...

The Wexford Carol came on tonight and about 1/3 of the way through I heard it. Really heard it. Stopped-everything-and-listened heard it. It's beautiful! Even Dave, who was passing through the room while it was playing, stopped and asked me to turn it up so he could listen too. They just don't make songs like this for normal times of the year!


Comments

Ashley said…
Love this carol! I had never heard the lyrics before though!
Dave said…
even Dave! Honestly....

Popular Posts